Sunday, October 23, 2011

Trial Bike Ride

This weekend I did a trial bike ride on the Oilman Texas race route up in Conroe.  I was a bit nervous about this ride since it is quite a bit more hilly than anything I've rode on before.  Yes, those spin classes I take help somewhat, but nothing compares to the real thing.  Thankfully, three guys from work offered to do the ride with me, so if I couldn't make it up one of the hills, at least I'd have someone able to go get the car for me.  :) 

Actually, the ride turned out pretty good.  It indeed was very hilly, and the most difficult bike ride I've ever done, but I made it.  And the good news, I still had some fuel in the tank when I was done, so running 13.1 miles afterwards could very well be doable, although it may involve some walking.  Although, by the end of the ride, my quads were on fire.  Those hills just did them in.  We did stop along the way and rested and had our nutrition, which I'm thinking I just may do in the race as well.  The route was actually pretty beautiful, and at one point, it didn't even feel as though I was in Texas.  Six miles into the route, we encountered the roughest road I've ever rode on.  I literally thought my bike, and myself for that matter, may not make it if the whole 56 miles were like this.  Thankfully at mile 17, it was done.  Turns out after to talking a girl after we were done who also just rode, said that pavement was not there 2 weeks ago.  I wonder if the race folks knew that was happening.  I guarantee there will be ALOT of complaints about it. 

All in all, I am very happy I decided to do the trial ride.  Now I know what to expect on raceday.  Only two weeks to go...I can't believe its almost here...

No comments:

Post a Comment